The Seven Cooperative Principles
- Voluntary and Open Ownership – regardless of race, gender, or creed; participation is voluntary; no prerequisites.
- Democratic Owner Control – one Owner, one vote. At People’s, policy and strategic direction are determined by an elected Board of Directors that meet monthly. Owners elect Directors and vote on major issues each January at the Annual Meeting.
- Owners’ Economic Participation – Owners contribute equally to the capital of the Cooperative.
- Autonomy and Independence – controlled by Owners; agreements with other organizations must ensure that Owners retain democratic control and that the cooperative remains autonomous.
- Education, Training and Information – educate staff, Owners, and Directors so that they can, in turn, contribute effectively to the Cooperative.
- Cooperation among Cooperatives – work together to best serve their Owners and to strengthen the cooperative movement as a whole.
- Concern for Community – work for the sustainable development of communities through the development and participation of the Ownership